This is a rough brainstorm for a 60% keyboard made for hacking code. Blue shift keys coorespond to blue legend marks. Bronze FN key cooresponds to bronze legend marks.
60% keyboard good for hacking code.
- Writing code makes heavy use of symbols and arrow keys. I want a small board designed for hacking code.
Move symbols closer to the home-row.
- Moving symbol keys closer to the center of the board will mean spending less time resetting my hands to home-row position.
Top level arrow keys
- I use arrows all the time when coding, but many 60% boards omit them. So compromises were made to keep them on the top level.
- This board is 13.25 horizontal units wide and has a maximum of 13 keys per row. This means less reaching to find keys, which can be especially challenging in combination with holding modifier keys.
Do something more useful with caps lock key
- Caps lock is worthless and it sits on some valuable real-estate. I wanted to use it for something that is more commonly used in hacking code and that something is the apostophe.